11 Facts About Me
1. Last summer I studied abroad in Costa Rica to learn Spanish! One of the single most incredible experiences of my life!
2. In high school I was a huge band geek! I played flute, oboe, and trumpet, while also serving as a majorette during football season!
3. I love volunteering with Habitat For Humanity. The last two spring breaks have been spent in Georgia building homes and I am excited to spend my third spring break there! Habitat for Humanity is also my pageant platform! I also made a mini-documentary for the Collegiate Challenge program that was featured at the organization's annual International Youth Conference. You can view it here.
Doin' work! Working on the roof is my favorite part of building Habitat Houses!
4. Along the lines of documentary work, I participated in Mary Kay's Inspiring Stories program. This program brought 15 women from all over the country together in Las Vegas to create three documentaries regarding domestic violence. I was placed on Team Give Joy and you can view our documentary here. My team worked with Alexa Vega (remember Spy Kids!?) as our voice-over.
5. Speaking of Mary Kay, I am also a Mary Kay Independent Beauty Consultant! The lipglosses and Ultimate mascara are my personal favorites. Wanna order or join my team? Email me, or check out my website here.
6. I've always had an entrepreneurial spirit - I created my first business at age 14 creating boutonnieres, corsages, and wedding bouquets! Even before then I tried selling friends homemade lipglosses in the 2nd grade!
7. I compete in the Miss America Organization. Pageants have helped me develop my speaking and interview skills, stage presence, and have given me motivation to live a healthy lifestyle while also providing hundreds of dollars for my education!
8. I started competing in pageants at age 15 at a hometown festival pageant. I used to be INCREDIBLY shy and quiet and terrified of speaking in public. During the onstage portion I froze during my question and it was a minute and thirty seconds of of the loudest silence I've ever experienced. Obviously, I didn't take home the crown. However....
9. In 2009 I served as the Olde Canal Days Festival Queen! It took me three tries, but eventually I did win. During my year of service, my court and I completed over 200 hours of community service, rode in more parades than Micky Mouse, and made so many new friends!
Riding all the carnival rides post-crowning moment
10. I lead Disney World's Electro-Light Parade as a majorette with my band in high school!
11. I took a year off after high school before attending college!